The wonderful truth is that all our longings are met in Christ. He's come to give us abundant life, but He doesn't do so by satisfying sinful desires. He satisfies us by turning our hearts away from them toward Him. He shows us the emptiness in our cravings and the great joy of oneness with Him and with His children. He's the source and satisfaction of all our happiness. All we need is found in Him.
Remember that your strongest desires, the things that you are most passionate about, are what ultimately define your worship. If you passionately desire the respect of others, then your life will be colored by the fear of man. You'll worship other people's opinions. If you intensely crave aceptance, you'll be terrified of loneliness and rejection. You'll serve gods of man pleasing, peer pressure, or codependency. If you covet comfort, pleasure, or fun, you'll worship money or prestige as gods who hold the power to bless or curse you.
As those who are being remade in God's likeness, we must examine every longing in the blazing light of the Word of God. We must not be conformed to this world's philosophies - philosophies that would seductively lie to us about our true needs. Instead we must be "transformed by the renewing of our minds," (Romans 12:2) so that we may know God's will and design for us.
I read this this morning and it hit me in the pit of my soul. I have been craving the acceptance of others and have passionately desired their respect. I have allowed men to take the place of the Lord in my life. God has been moved off the throne of my heart as I have sought Him 2nd. I am so thankful that the Lord has graciously helped me to realize my misplaced priorities and I am grateful that He will help me to begin to passionately desire His ruling in my life, above all else!
1 comment:
So, I want to read this one too. Do you think I can squeeze it in? lol ;)
Post a Comment