Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Power of Words


Over the last few days, I have encountered situations where I have been reminded of the power of our words. I recently received a new book in the mail, entitled, The Power of Words, by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. In her first chapter, Nancy shares the following story...

On August 24, 2000, a 46-year-old woman tossed a burning match onto the ground when she stopped by the road to light a cigarette. Rather than putting out the burning match, she just glanced at it and left the area. Many days later, the fire she had recklessly begun was finally contained. Timber worth more than 40 million dollars was destroyed, and over 80,000 acres were burned.

It's easy to hear this story and think, How dare she leave a burning match in a dry forest? Yet how often do we throw out our words without thinking about the consequences? We may even walk away after saying words that deeply wound others - not wanting to look at the enormous damage that we have caused.

Too often I talk without thinking, never considering the one receiving my words. It's easy to blurt out words when we're under pressure. Although we may have no intention of hurting others, our words can inflict great damage. Much like a burned forest, the damage can take years to restore.


"A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit"
- Proverbs 15:4

May the words that I speak build others up and encouragement their hearts. May I never be known as one who speaks without thinking or who leaves a path of destruction behind. May I encourage those who are discouraged and comfort those who are hurting.

No comments: