As I was praying through what to share next, I came across this little pamphlet entitled, "From Pride to Humility" by Stuart Scott. Not only is Dr. Scott coming to speak at our church next Sunday night, but I also realized that this topic ties closely with my struggles with being judgmental. The fight against pride is a daily battle, if not a moment by moment battle.
Here's what Dr. Scott had to share...
As we have said, pride is blinding. This fact is why it is often difficult to see pride in ourselves, and yet so easy to see it in others. Here is a sample list of pride manifestations that can easily clear away the smoke of any self-righteousness.
Complaining against or passing judgment on God. A proud person in a difficult situation thinks, "Look what God has done to me after all I have done for Him" (Numbers 14:1-4. 9, 11; Romans 9:20).
A lack of gratitude in general. Proud people usually think they deserve what is good. (2 Chronicles 32:25)
Anger. A proud person is often an angry person. A person most often becomes angry because his "rights" or expectations are not being met (Matthew 20:1-16).
Seeing yourself as better than others. A proud person is usually on top looking down on others. (Luke 7:36-50)Having an inflated view of your importance, gifts and abilities. Many proud people have a very wrong perception of themselves. (I Corinthians 4:7)
Being focused on the lack of your gifts and abilities. Some proud people may not come across as proud at all, because they are always down on themselves. This is still evidence of pride because one is focused on self and wants self to be elevated. Having a "woe is me" attitude is self-pity, which is pride (I Corinthians 12:14-25).
Perfectionism. People who strive for everything to be perfect often do so for recognition. They may do it so they can feel good about themselves. Whatever the reason, this behavior is very self-serving and proud. The basic problem is making things that are less important, more important (Matthew 23:24-28).
Talking too much. Proud people who talk too much often do it because they think that what they have to say is more important than what anyone else has to say. (Proverbs 10:19)
Talking too much about yourself. A person who is proud may center on themselves in conversation. Sharing personal accomplishments and good personal qualities with others can be bragging or boasting (Proverbs 27:2; Galatians 6:3).
Seeking independence or control. Some proud people find it extremely difficult to work under someone else or to submit to authority. They are often rigid, stubborn, headstrong, and intimidating. They may also say, "It's my way or no way" (I Corinthians 1:10-13; Ephesians 5:21).
Being consumed with what others think. (Galatians 1:10)
Being devastated or angered by criticism. (Proverbs 13:1)
Being unteachable. (Proverbs 19:20; John 9:13-34)
Being sarcastic, hurtful, or degrading. (Proverbs 12:18, 23)
A lack of service. (Galatians 5:13; Ephesians 2:10)
A lack of compassion. (Matthew 5:7; 18:23-35)
Being defensive or blame-shifting. (Genesis 3:12-13; Proverbs 12:1)
A lack of admitting when you are wrong. (Proverbs 10:17)
A lack of asking forgiveness. (Matthew 5:23-24)
A lack of biblical prayer. (Luke 18:10-14)
Resisting authority or being disrespectful. (I Peter 2:13-17)
Voicing preferences or opinions when not asked. (Philippians 2:1-4)
Minimizing your own sin and shortcomings. (Matthew 7:3-5)
Maximizing others' sin and shortcomings. (Matthew 7:3-5; Luke 18:9-14)
Being impatient or irritable with others. (Ephesians 4:31-32)
Being jealous or envious. (I Corinthians 13:4)
Using others. (Matthew 7:12; Philippians 2:3-4)
Being deceitful by covering up sins, faults, and mistakes. (Proverbs 11:3; 28:13)
Using attention-getting tactics. (I Peter 3:3-4)
Not having close relationships. (Proverbs 18:1-2; Hebrews 10:24-25)
What is an appropriate view of self? We are so very far beneath God and totally unworthy before Him (Psalm 8:1-4). We are no better and no worse than others, because we are all desperately wicked and totally incapable of anything worthwhile in God's sight on our own. There is nothing that anyone has accomplished or possesses that they should take cred for themselves. We basically have no worth in and of ourselves, but God has given us (believers) a place we do not deserve and has set His love on us anyway.
Wow... what a privilege to be a child of God. After reading through this list, I can see a number of areas where I need to be praying specifically that God would help me to change. But, rather than be discouraged when faced with these shortcomings, I am excited to see how God will answer my prayers and how He will continue to refine me.
No comments:
Post a Comment