My original purpose in keeping up my blog was to keep friends and family updated on what is going on in my life and to share the issues that God has laid on my heart. As I was thinking about what I should write about next, I was graciously confronted with an issue in my life that has unfortunately reared it's ugly head way too often. A close friend and confidant had the courage to discuss with me how unattractive my negativity and judgmental heart has been. While I am so thankful that she cared enough to say something, I was broken over the fact that I had allowed this issue to continue to grow in my heart. The harsh reality that I may have hurt or even pushed away those I care about because of my comments, has been hard to accept. So, I knew it was time to search the Scriptures for wisdom and guidance and to come before the Lord humbly and seek His strength to rid my heart and life of this tendency. After all, my heart's desire is to be known as a woman of God, a woman of compassion, encouragement, graciousness and love towards others. My hope is that by truly sharing the matters of my heart, the Lord will touch your heart as well. Maybe this will encourage you to care enough to confront someone you love or maybe it will bring about conviction in your own heart. Either way, I hope you are encouraged by what I have to share.
James 4:11-12
"Do not speak evil of one another, brethren. He who speaks evil of a brother and judges his brother, speaks evil of the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not doer of the law but a judge. There is one Lawgiver, who is able to save and destroy. Who are you to judge another?"
Matthew 7:1-3
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"
Luke 6:36-38
"Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
from Who Are You to Judge? by Dave Swavely
"The reason that you should want to believe the best about others, and give them the benefit of the doubt, is that God has been so gracious to you. Ephesians 4:32 says, 'Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.' The Greek verb translated "forgiving" and "forgiven" in that verse (charizo) comes from the word for grace, so Paul is saying we should be gracious to others as God has been gracious to us. And how gracious has God been to us? Consider these verses"
God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us...While we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son. (Rom. 5:8-10)
And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)(Eph. 2:1-5)
For we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another. But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. (Titus 3:3-7)
Do you deserve all the good things God has given you, or the love and acceptance with which He looks upon you?
I know that I don't even come close!
5 comments:
It's a choice to stay in the fire of refinement and not run, isn't it?
Yes, it really hurts & often does not stop until you seek forgiveness "face to face." You are very fortunate to have a friend who would lovingly confront you. I firmly believe staying in the "fire of refinement" will work on burning that log.
Erica,
You have become very endeared to our family! We love you very much! I have been walking along side you for awhile now and know how much you love the Lord and your desire to please Him and have Him be your authority, your guide, your joy. I can attest to your desire to burn every "log" in your life and can assure you that we ALL have "logs" to burn, but that doesn't keep us from confronting sin all the time in someone else. Many people choose to take the Lord's comments on judging and the log in your own eye out of context these days, but there is also a righteous judging and a need for confrontation of sin that is commanded in His Word. There is also discernment and counsel as to those situations and you have been very faithful and careful towards your heart and confronting those issues and dealing with those sins in your life as well.We are proud of the growth we are seeing in your life! Be encouraged my friend!
Philippians 3:13-14
Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do:forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead,
I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
:)
You what's interesting, the sun that melts the wax of a candle is the same sun that hardens the clay as it lays out. It is the same in the Christian walk. We can either desire biblical critiquing of our walk so that the Son melts us and molds us into the child He desires us to be or we can shun biblical critiquing of our walk and watch our hearts harden to the Son.
A good Christian friend will not only critique your walk, but will also allow you to critique their walk. All to often Christians want this to be a one way road.
Keep up the good work my fellow Berean and know that we are here for you and see your growing into the Godly woman our Lord desires.
I love you Erica!!!! Oh sister of mine that i know i can come to for counsel on how to continue to walk with our Lord!!!! :]
Post a Comment